This book discusses basic principles, clinical planning, bone classification, bone regeneration techniques, standard clinical situations, special techniques and complications in modern oral implant surgery.
Bioactivating Concepts are discussed from both aspects: basic research and clinical research. Chapters on basic research deal especially with bioactivation of bone morphogenesis and regeneration by bone morphogenetic proteins, biomaterials and bone repair, bone and soft tissue engineering, as well as cellular and subcellular physiology. Chapters on clinical research focus on intraoral operation techniques, including step-by-step augmentation procedures that are presented in a series of high-quality colour photographs.
The international group of authors represents different generations (from newcomers to wellestablished renown researchers), concepts (partially controversial, but nevertheless encouraging), and last but not least individual opinions based on personal excellence and experience.
• Basic Principles: Cellular and subcellular bone physiology, Bone tissue engineering, Bioactivation of bone morphogenesis and regeneration by Bone Morphogenetic Proteins (BMPs), Bioactive BMP-2 on nano-crystalline diamond-coated implants, Biomaterials and bone repair, Calcium phosphate biomaterials, Augmentation of material surfaces, Zirconium, Load-related aspects of implant osseointegration, Human gingival (patho)physiology, Soft tissue engineering
• Clinical Planning: Patient's choice, Imaging techniques, Backward planning, Platform switching - biological rationale and clinical implications, Facial esthetics engineering, Computer-guided implant placement, Template guided implant placement, Timing of implant placement and loading, Short and narrow plateaued implants, Implant-abutment connection
• Bone Regeneration Techniques and Bone Classification: Introduction - overview, Class I: Microanastomosed free bone flaps, Class II: Distraction osteogenesis, Class III: Pedicled segmented osteotomy - inlay graft, Class IV: Bone morphogenic induction grafts BMP, Class V: Non vascularized bone grafts - onlay grafts, Class VI: Guided bone regeneration
• Standard Clinical Situations: Introduction and overview, Single and multiple-tooth gap in anterior region in the maxilla, Single and multiple-tooth gap in anterior region in the mandible, Lateral edentulous gap in the maxilla, Lateral edentulous gap in the mandible, Free-end situation in the maxilla, Free-end situation in the mandible, Edentulous maxilla, Edentulous mandible, Important soft tissue issues, References
• Complications: Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein in today's oral and maxillofacial surgery, Interim implants in combination with bone grafting procedures, Flapless implant surgery (or not?), Pedicled bone flaps for alveolar reconstruction, Orthodontic implants - A bioactivating view, Intentional replantation, Decoronation
• Special Techniques: Complications - not mistakes, Material-linked complications, Nerve injuries, Treatment of iatrogenic inferior alveolar nerve injury, Implantogenic maxillary sinusitis, Mandibular lingual perforation, Drug related complications, Radiotherapy, Peri-implantitis