This book fills a need that is completely different from those of traditional texts that set out to summarize or describe success rates for successful osseointegration in oral rehabilitation.
It is based on a more naturally rational approach, that of describing and detailing errors and failures with the aim of preventing or minimizing the impact of new procedures on the human body.
Despite the fact that long-term clinical studies demonstrate the reliability and predictability of treatment in edentulous patients, there remains a great need for prophylactic measures to continue to reduce margins of error and their consequences.
This result can be achieved only through a conscientious and painstaking process of describing and analyzing problems observed in the short and long term.
The author's aim of reducing the clinical incidence of avoidable errors represents an opportunity to optimize treatment outcomes and reduce the number of complications in the short and long term.
Chapter 1: Introduction
• Historical Background of Prosthetic Complications • Nature and Function of the Early • Implant Treatment Approach: • The Toronto Bridge • Resorption of Edentulous Ridges • Function • Esthetics • Specifics of the Various Dental Implant Systems • Biomechanics • Dental Prosthetic Techniques and Technology • Role of the Patient • Significance and Classification of Complications • Classification
Chapter 2: Complications at the Time of Connection
• Malpositioning of Implants • Damage to Internal Implant Threads or Implant Connection • Ingestion or Inhalation of Instruments • Clinical Cases: Esthetic Failure, Malpositioning of Implants and Premature Loss of Implants, Malpositioning of the Implant
Chapter 3: Complications of Immediate Loading
• Premature Implant Loss • Clinical Cases: Premature Implant Loss, Implant Loss During the Healing Period, Submental Cutaneous Fistula, Failure to Deliver an Immediate Prosthesis
Chapter 4: Complications at the Time of Prosthetic Procedures
• Malpositioning of Implants • Technical Problems • Damage to the Abutment-Screw Threads • Ingestion or Inhalation of Instruments • Cementation Problems • Clinical Cases: Mobility of the Prosthesis and Interference with Adjacent Structures, Interference with Adjacent Structures, Implant Proximity, and Esthetic Shortcomings, Interference with Adjacent Structures, Functional Limitations, Esthetic Shortcomings, and Framework Fracture, Invasion of the Mandibular Canal and Failure to Load Implants, Interference with Adjacent Structures
Chapter 5: Complications at the Time of Follow-Up
• Mobility of the Prosthesis • Acute and Chronic Inflammation • Fractures • Esthetics • Craniomandibular and Occlusal Disorders • Phonetic Disorders • Biting of Tongue and Cheeks • General Adaptation Problems • Proximity of Implants to Adjacent Anatomical Structures • Delayed Loss of Implants • Clinical Cases: Acute and Chronic Inflammation, Acute and Chronic Inflammation, Acute and Chronic Inflammation, Fracture of the Prosthesis, Fracture of the Prosthesis and Delayed Loss of Implants, Acute and Chronic Inflammation, Repeated Fracture of Prosthetic Screws, Mobility of the Prosthesis and Interference with Adjacent Structures, Fracture of the Prosthesis, Acute and Chronic Infection, Acute and Chronic Infection, Fracture of the Retainer in an Overdenture Ball-Attachment System